REAL FITNESS

REAL FITNESS

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Feeding Your Family

Ok, so anyone else struggling to make healthy food choices for the family and going broke in the process???

Feeding the family with nutrient dense foods is tough enough. To be at optimal health, it's almost impossible not to have your grocery bill a significant chunk of your monthly budget. I am going to spend the next several blogs on helping you navigate the choices, and prioritize your shopping list, with affordability and resourcefulness in mind.

Today we discuss getting organized:

Start designing your shopping list in sections of where you will buy your food. I have 3 places that I go. If you have only one, you may want to consider another stop per week at a Farmer's Market or Trader Joe's for some items.

Here is my typical week:

TRADER JOES: soy milk, hummus, frozen fruit, frozen dinners (healthier here), and CLIF bars are staples. Party supplies and munchies are good here as well. Smokin' deals on wine. If you don't have one close by, plan a once a month trip and grab everything you will need.

SPROUTS: (Or farmers market/coop:) Fresh fruit and veggies, fresh meat and fish.

NEIGHBORHOOD GROCERY: Weekly essentials, milk, eggs, bread/bagels, frozen meat.

I realize this may seem like a pain to do 3 trips, but I save a ton of money and it actually doesn't take that much time for each trip, because I know exactly what I need, which brands I prefer and it never takes more than 15 minutes in and out the door.

Ok, more on this to come, including organizing your kitchen. Please comment with helpful suggestions with what works for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment