REAL FITNESS

REAL FITNESS

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Focus and Discipline

Anyone who knows me knows that focus and discipline are not my strong suits. I set goals, sometimes I achieve them, other times I don't.

I like food that is "bad" and sometimes I don't train when I am supposed to. I have always been kind of a laid back gal...I have never reached my potential as a result.

I have, however, learned that there is a balance. I have never needed to be the winner at anything, and so my drive to succeed has always been tempered by my overwhelming desire to enjoy life and hang out with fun people.

Lately though, I am spending a little more time developing these two admirable qualities in order to grow as a person. Here is what I have learned so far...

Focus is about keeping your eye on the prize. It's so easy to get distracted by the bottles of wine, the doughnut holes, and the happy hours. Delaying the gratification has been tough the last month, but I have managed to stick with my plan and my body is changing quickly as a result. I keep my goal swim suit hanging where I can always see it, and I schedule my workouts as non negotiable time into my day.

Discipline is about planning and positive self talk. I am making sure that I allow myself some leniency with my diet because I know that all or nothing doesn't work for me. I am reading the labels and sticking to the serving sizes. I am opting for fresh fruit and vegetables as appetizers and desserts. I am allowing myself alcohol in moderation on weekends, but I have cut it out the other 5 days. I am running and going to the gym whether I feel like it or not because I know how much better I feel when I am done. I am patting myself on the back for a job well done and I am holding myself accountable with the scale and pictures.

Is it worth it? A resounding YES! I feel comfortable in my skin again. My clothes don't pull and bind, and my fitness level is rising quickly with very little pain. It's a gradual change, a healthy change, and one that I am willing to commit to until my goal is reached.

So for those of you who think us fitness people are perfect, think again. It's hard for us too!

Focus for the ADHD poster child and discipline for the quintessential party girl...yep, it's possible!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jerny,
    I have become disciplined once again and bought the magic bullet. Do you have any recipes you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanette!

    www.buythebullet.com/bulletrecipes.php

    Hope that helps! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete