REAL FITNESS

REAL FITNESS

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Emotional Eating

My name is Jerny, I am a recovering emotional eater.

For the first 42 years of my life, I used food as comfort, as a companion, as a reward, as a stress manager. With any addiction, there are rationalizations for the behavior. I exercised up to 3 to 4 hours a day for my job. I gave away every ounce of my energy in classes, life was stressful, money was tight, the pressure to be perfect was huge. Food was my solice, food was my friend.

Sweet, salty, crunchy, even stuff that actually wasn't that tasty. It was just the act of eating, that temporarily eased my angst, and then let me to the subsequent emotional and physical crash within the hour.

As I entered my mid 30's, I noticed weight didn't come off easy any more. Pizza, peanut butter, alcohol, and ice cream stuck like glue. I was healthy, or so it seemed, but always carried the 5-10 pounds of stubborn fat. I wore a size or two larger than I should be and wore it well. I knew I wasn't where I wanted to be, but didn't have the desire or ability to curb my compulsive eating habits.

Afternoons were the worst, an entire box of cereal, crackers, or pop tarts was not uncommon. On a conscious level, I knew it wasn't healthy. I understood the endocrine system and what my body had to go through in order to process crap that the digestive system was not originally designed for.

Enter metabolic testing, a very powerful book, and a few very knowledgeable friends. I learned about the delicate balance I was disrupting and how it was affecting not just my health and my waistline, but my moods, my peri-menopausal symptoms, and my sleep. I just got tired of being tired and started to practice what I was preaching to my clients. I made slow and steady progress, little changes at a time. Learning and listening to my body's natural cues. It was hard for a while, but easier over time.

Having a solid eating plan designed specifically for me, the right supplements, the right exercise plan (less intensity and volume!!!), and patience paid off. Sure I have slipped up, gotten lazy, and fell off the plan. However, it works so well, that I can pretty much just pick up right where I left off and predictably get myself back on track and back into my skinny jeans.

Yes I still eat pizza, peanut butter, ice cream, and drink alcohol. I just moderate them, combine them properly, and time them in order to control my metabolism instead of food controlling me. The biggest change was in my head. I had to start thinking of food as just that, FOOD. Not friend, not enemy, just fuel and refuel. I also had to give up thinking I had to be perfect. No small task and one I can honestly say still creeps in occasionally.

You can do it too! You have to be ready, you have to want it. You need to make changes slowly and consistently. The benefits are so worth it! Not only do you change your body, and feel great, you teach your children, who are watching carefully, that food is not an effective stress manager and save them from the frustration that emotional eating always brings.

You won't likely be able to do it alone however. You will need a diet designed specifically for you and an exercise plan that fits your life. You will need prayer, and a belief that you can change your habits. You will need patience and you will need tenacity. You will need to let go of the concept of perfection and embrace your beautiful you!

If you are ready, I can help.

Online only plans start at $50 per month.

Online plans with accountability meetings once per week are $100 per month.

Results are guaranteed if you follow the directions...I have yet to have anyone regret working with me! :)

Contact me at jarsfit@yahoo.com for more information


No comments:

Post a Comment